Skip to Content

Can US People Fly within Mexico without a Passport? Answered

If you are an American citizen looking to travel within Mexico, you may be wondering if you need a passport.

In this article, we will discuss the different ways American citizens can fly within Mexico and what documentation is required for each.

We will also provide some tips on how to have a safe and enjoyable trip!


Can a US Citizen Fly Within Mexico Without a Passport?

US citizens cannot fly within Mexico without a passport. All US citizens, regardless of age, are required to have a passport when traveling outside of the United States. This includes travel to Mexico, even if you are only flying within the country.


What Do You Need To Travel To Mexico?

While you may not need a visa to enter Mexico, you will need a passport that is valid for at least six months from your date of travel.

If your passport expires sooner than six months, you will need to renew it before your trip.

You can do this by mail or in person at a passport office. For more information on how to renew your passport, you can visit the US State Department website.

You’ll also need an FMM form, or Multiple Migratory Form which should be given to you at the airport or border crossing. Be sure to keep this form with your passport as you may be asked to present it upon leaving Mexico.

If you’re traveling by air, you’ll also need a valid boarding pass and government-issued photo ID.


Traveling With Children to Mexico

If you are traveling with children, please note that they will also need a passport. This is regardless of age, whether your child is several months old or several years old.

In addition, it is recommended that you have a letter of consent from the other parent if you are traveling with only one child.

Traveling by land or water is a different story.

A child under the age of 16 may enter Mexico from the land border with a birth certificate.

If you are traveling by water, a child under the age of 18 may enter with a birth certificate, or other proof of citizenship such as a passport card or naturalization certificate.

You won’t need a passport or passport book at all for children under 16 if you are traveling by land or water.


What Do You Need to Book A Domestic Mexican Flight?

To book a domestic Mexican flight while traveling through Mexico as a US citizen you will need a passport, as well as a Mexican Tourist Card, also called an FM-T.

You can get this card at the airport when you arrive in Mexico or from a Mexican consulate office before your trip.

The tourist card is valid for up to 180 days, and there is no fee to obtain one.

When you arrive in Mexico, the tourist card will be stapled into your passport. Be sure to keep it in your passport as you may be asked to present it when leaving Mexico.

Mexican authorities may also ask to see your boarding pass and photo ID, so be sure to have these items with you as well.

As a US citizen, you are not able to fly within Mexico without a passport regardless if you have a valid government-issued ID and a tourist card. However, it is always best to travel with a passport when traveling internationally, even if it isn’t required. This will give you the most options in case of an emergency.


What Happens If You Just Moved To Mexico

US citizens who have just moved to Mexico will not have the proper documentation to prove their status in the country.

For this reason, it is recommended that you obtain a Mexican residency card, also known as an FM-R.

This card will prove your status in Mexico and allow you to travel within the country without any issues. You can apply for a residency card at a Mexican consulate office before your trip or at the airport when you arrive in Mexico.

If you have any questions about traveling to Mexico as a US citizen, be sure to contact the nearest Mexican consulate office or the US State Department for more information.

Moving to Mexico because of business can also get you documentation that will allow you to travel freely throughout the country.

If you are planning on moving to Mexico, be sure to research the process and requirements so that you can obtain the proper documentation.


Is There A Temporary Passport Option?

The US government does issue temporary passports, also known as emergency passports. These passports are only valid for a limited time and are typically only issued in cases of emergency.

If you need a temporary passport, you will need to contact the nearest US consulate office or the US State Department for more information.

While a regular passport is always best, a temporary passport will suffice if you are unable to obtain one in time for your trip.

Keep in mind that a temporary passport is only valid for a limited time, so you will need to apply for a regular passport as soon as possible.

You can get these types of passports within 24 hours so they are a last-minute option if you need them.


Flying Within Mexico Without a Passport: Conclusion

Traveling within Mexico is easy if you have the proper documentation. If you don’t have a passport, you won’t be able to fly within the country and you may have problems flying back home as well. It’s better to do your research and use the tips above to stay within regulations for your Mexico trip.


Frequently asked questions


Can I use my ID to fly within Mexico?

No, a US government-issued ID will not be enough to fly domestically within Mexico. You will need a passport, as well as a Mexican Tourist Card, also called an FM-T.


Can you use your birth certificate to fly to Mexico?

Any US citizen flying into Mexico will need a passport, regardless of age. You will not be allowed to use a birth certificate for a person of any age in order to fly into Mexico.